Butrint National Park
Recognized as a site of historical and cultural importance by UNESCO in 1948, Butrint attained the status of a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1992. In the following year, Lord Rothschild and Lord John Sainsbury of Preston Candover established the Butrint Foundation, to examine the archaeology of Butrint and to protect and to conserve its remains and natural environment.
With the help of the Butrint Foundation, the Butrint National Park was officially established in 2000, encompassing an area of 26 sq km. The results of intensive research by the Butrint Foundation, under the direction of Richard Hodges, led to the recognition that Butrint's cultural heritage extended beyond the late antique walls of the city. In 2005 and 2013, the territorial boundaries of the Butrint National Park were officially expanded, now encompassing an area of 93 sq km.
The Butrint National Park staff may be reached at: